Wednesday 18 February 2015

Warm days, Cold nights, Warmer greenhouses

Monday's weather report: -20 wind chill outside.  It was +17 inside the unheated greenhouses.  The sun is so intense and our days are about 12 hours now.  
So, I guess we'll be planting in the greenhouse by next week, just wanting those nights to be a tad warmer so as not to lose the days' planting efforts.
I've been seeding, watering, and taking care of new seedlings in the house for the last couple of weeks.  I've been doing this for a few years now but am always astonished by the rate at which seeds germinate.  I pushed some basil seeds into the seed starter Saturday, they were up by Sunday night!

I bought a box of tomatoes from SunTech this morning. They are not yet ripe enough to make tomato sauce, so we'll wait until next week to make it.  Their cukes and eggplants are so lovely, I couldn't resist . . . whole wheat pizza  mmmmmmm.
I may be with you on the sprout orders this week.  Two weeks ago, I sprouted so many we had extra.  Due to that, last week I sprouted less and didn't have enough.  We'll keep trying.  Maybe you should pre-order for the next week as well so I know how many to sprout.  The Spring Salad Mix and Alfalfa take from Sunday to Friday.  The Crunchy Bean Mix takes from Tuesday to Friday, so let me know if you can.

The Kemptville Horticultural Society asked me to be a guest speaker at their meeting tonight.  I'm pretty excited about this.  I'll be talking about herbs and edible flowers. They're also having a Seed Exchange that I can take part in.  I'm looking forward to that as well.  

I`ll report in next week.  Have a great every day from now until then.  
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment